Metroparks Toledo seeks Director of Philanthropy
In partnership with the Executive Director, the Metroparks Board of Park Commissioners and the Metroparks Toledo Foundation Board, the Director of Philanthropy supports the mission and strategic objectives of Metroparks by designing and executing the overall fundraising strategy to provide for the current and future needs of Metroparks.
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Work hours: Full time; workweek may include weekends, holidays, and evenings.
Classification: Salaried, full-time, exempt, year-round position
Compensation: Pay grade to be determined. Employer and employee contribute to Public Employee Retirement System.
Apply by: June 23, 2017
To apply: Please email a cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume by June 23, 2017 to:
Aly Sterling Philanthropy
Only applications submitted via email will be considered.
About Metroparks Toledo
Metroparks Toledo currently includes fourteen parks, each connecting parks to people and people with nature in compelling and exciting ways. Soon, everyone in Lucas County will live within a mere hop, skip, and a jump from a Metropark.
The mission of Metroparks Toledo is to conserve the region’s natural resources by creating, developing, improving, protecting, and promoting clean, safe, and natural parks and open spaces for the benefit, enjoyment, education, and general welfare of the public.
Key Duties Responsibilities
- Responsible for designing and executing the overall fundraising strategy including the following core initiatives: events, annual fund, memberships, major/capital gifts, and planned/endowment gifts.
- Responsible for meeting annual fundraising financial target goals, including monthly key performance indicators (KPIs) associated with these goals.
- Serves as a member of the Senior Leadership Team and Leadership Team, participating in the development of organization strategy and direction.
- Prepares and monitors annual department budget.
- Serves as the Park District’s liaison with the Metroparks Toledo Foundation, managing all Foundation fundraising initiatives.
- Responsible for all donor cultivation, solicitation and recognition, including creating a key prospect list, submitting detailed weekly activity reports and specific moves management strategies and progress updates. This includes the development of an annual donor recognition event and the enforcement of policy and protocol.
- Maintains records of all past and current donor activity. Oversees stewardship effort including preparation of acknowledgments of giving, thank you notes, and tax documentation.
- Responsible for the development of a planned giving program, for purposes of increasing the perpetual support for the organization’s programs and services and endowment. This would include the creation of an advisory committee, related policies and procedures, program events, marketing and educational material.
- Creates an effective and efficient system sharing of information, case successes, and financial/outcome data.
- Is responsible, along with leadership, to advance and grow and internal culture and commitment to philanthropy.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant regulations and laws and standards of professional conduct for fundraising professionals.
- Works closely with the Public Relations Department to market the Park District and connect Metroparks with the community.
- Represents Park District to relevant professional/fundraising organizations. Create, plan, coordinate major fundraising events. Work closely with assigned volunteer committees.
- Directs the work of volunteers and interns; coordinate with volunteer services department to recruit, train, recognize, and record volunteers within the development department.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the incumbent.
The Metropolitan Park District of the Toledo Area is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Alternates to the following position requirements may be made as Metroparks finds appropriate and acceptable.
- Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Three to five years of fundraising, marketing, communications, and/or sales experience required.
- Must demonstrate the ability to align with and commit to the park district’s mission and vision.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective professional relationships with all stakeholders, including employees, volunteers, and the general public.
- Management skills and strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, ability to manage multiple programs, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and persuasively using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation with ability to communicate one-on-one or in group settings.
- Proficiency in software programs including database programs and all Microsoft Office programs. Experience using donor software such as DonorPerfect.
- Must be self-directed, flexible, creative, able to work independently and perform with poise under pressure and deliver strong, measureable results.
Latest posts by Aly Sterling Philanthropy (see all)
- From Toledo to LA: Applying Giving USA - June 23, 2017
- Still a few coaching sessions left, register now! - June 21, 2017
- Announcement: Fundraising Strategies & Nonprofit Tech Carnival - June 20, 2017